Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the engagement!


here's the details!

i travel a lot for work - by a lot, i mean a LOT - i'm gone sometimes a few days a week for a few weeks each month, and my schedule hasn't gotten much better...


so this being said, pat told me to clear my schedule for last friday (9/18) and that he was going to take me out to dinner.  i thought this was a little odd, since this rarely happens (not that we don't go out, but not so planned ahead), but didn't think too much of it and instead got excited for a night on the town with my love.  

on that friday i got my work done and set to cleaning the apartment, which had my stuff all over the place, from packing and unpacking suitcases, unopened mail, etc.  pat's golf clubs were also left out from the day before, as he had a tournament, so i heaved them back in to position in our very "page" organized front closet - it was no easy feat!


when pat got home, i was getting ready and he asked where his golf clubs were - i told him i put them in the front closet and he said ok, i want to put them in the garage, which i thought was strange - didn't he know how much it took for me to put them back in the closet?  :).

when he returned, i was all ready to go and he asked if i wanted to go up to the rooftop - our roof overlooks the san francisco bay and the golden gate bridge, along with the whole city skyline - for once, there was no fog and it was a perfectly clear night.  when we got up there, i saw candles and i got a little nervous, saying "i think someone's already up here!"  he continued to lead me to the ledge where as we got closer, i saw a bottle of champagne we've been saving for almost a year, for a special occasion...that's when i got nervous!  next thing i knew, pat was on one knee saying wonderful things (all i remember hearing was "san francisco" - as my listening skills shut down because i was in shock!) - and he pulled the ring box out of his pocket, put a gorgeous ring (the perfect one!) on my finger and i could not have been any happier!  i was in shock, smiling, crying, just so happy....  pat opened the bottle of champagne and popped the cork all the way across the street, we had some champagne with a gorgeous view, enjoyed the moment, then with shaky legs, made our way back down the stairs to our apartment. 

although we both live in San Francisco, our families and friends all live back east, so pat did this early enough so we could call my parents and his before it was too late, so we got back in and made 2 special phone calls (received with cheers and happiness from both ends!), and next thing you know, we had a limo waiting for us to take us to a great jazz restaurant, Bix, located in downtown SF.


it was the most perfect night of my life and thinking about it still puts a smile on my face.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! that sounds like an amzing night, I couldnt be happier for you too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha so I'm reading this you know, after the wedding even... LOL but it still brought tears to my eyes. I love proposal stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shaky leg feeling.
    When Shawn proposed at our zoo's butterfly house the attendant at the exit probably thought we were fighting because of us crying and being wobbly. LOVE your story Jacin.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!