Saturday, July 24, 2010

my first earthquake!!!

holy crap!  this past friday i experienced my first earthquake since moving to california (and first ever!)... it was CRAZY (luckily, not like "dangerous" crazy, but just shocking to me!).  it only lasted for like 2 seconds but for an east coaster like me, i was pretty freaked out for a lot longer than that afterwards.

and here it is:

it was a 3.5 magnitude which on the record books isn't much to write home about, but it still left me pretty shaken (no pun intended).

so i was sitting in my office in san bruno, about 13 miles south of san francisco, when all the sudden i heard this loud BOOM! noise, i can't even explain what it felt like - it was almost like a mack truck hit my building, like a sudden jolt, like someone rear-ended my car, followed by this weird feeling like my office was riding a wave in the ocean.  i suddenly jumped up and out of my office, and saw some of my colleagues looking at me (all californians) - the conversation went something like this:

me: "WHAT WAS THAT!!  WAS THAT WHAT I THINK IT WAS?" (all caps because yes, i was yelling)

colleagues: "yeah - it was."

me: "OH MY GOD!! AN EARTHQUAKE?!?! WHAT DO I DO?!!"

colleagues: "um, it's over.  but you can stand in the door frame if it makes you feel safe."

haha!  

that's what happens for a first-timer in an earthquake i guess (and i can only hope that this is my first and LAST experience!)

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Yeah I'd probably freak the eff out. Luckily it never happened to me when I was in LA but I can't imagine ever being "used" to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Man I would have been terrified as well!! I can't believe everyone in your office was just like "eh..yea..just an earthquake" !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I'd have freaked out too! You can now cross that off your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!