Wednesday, September 15, 2010

skipping stones or placecards?

...that is the question.

my parents have had an idea all along to use beach stones as our place cards, so all credit goes to them on this one!  i will admit at first i was like, oh boy, this is gonna be interesting but then i got excited about it as we got further along.  this is another one of those projects that i would have loved to do myself, but again, living across the country makes it hard to ship rocks back to CT, and i know my parents had fun with this one. 

my mom is a teacher and has been collecting beach stones this summer with my dad and some of her friends.  i think they've had a good time finding the right size and the pretty ones in the sand, which i think makes it even more special that every rock was picked for a reason.

once we finally got all the RSVPs back, i sent my excel list to my mom and she got to work.

first, she sprayed the rocks with clear shellac to make the rocks easier to write on, and make the writing stay on the rocks.

next, she wrote names on each rock - we went through a few versions of this until we found a way that looked nice and would allow each person to have their own rock.

after all the rock hunting, my dad needed a break so he left the writing to her (sorry dad hehe)

i also went online and found some inspirational photos that i sent to my mom - it helped reassure both of us that it would be a good idea :)
source
source

i don't know the source of this pic so if it's yours, please let me know and i'll give credit where it's due!

so now that all the rocks are ready, we just have to pull together the seating list.  yet another item on the list that will be crossed off this week!  we're getting close!!!

still taking guest bloggers for the week of sept 27 - october 11!  send me a message if you want in!

14 comments:

  1. Ok you have AWESOME parents!!! I love that they collected these for you and that your mom is putting the guests names on them! LOL at the pic of your dad...how sweet! :) Your parents rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a great idea!! thats so sweet they basically did all the work! lol and it totally ties in with your theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this idea. It is going to be beautiful. We just finished the seating chart over the weekend. Such a hassle:) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, and how great of your parents to be such a huge help! Are the guests going to get to keep their rocks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of using rocks and your parents are so nice to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute idea. So sweet of your parents to do this for you. Making the seating chart was not so bad-it just got hard at the end when I had only so many chairs open and needed to fit more people together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ CT Yankee - yes, they will take them home with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rock idea! i cant wait to see it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so awesome how your family got involved to do something like that. i think it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love this!! I think Sara at http://runninglawyer.blogspot.com had them too but I can't find her post. SUCH a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. - Your mom's an amazing trooper! Didn't she address all the invites too? Wow! GO MOM!! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the cutest idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!