Wednesday, September 1, 2010

something old turns something new

although i am not wearing my mom's dress on the wedding day, i will be wearing her veil.

my grandmother made my mother's wedding dress for her and it's very simple and very beautiful, but it just wasn't me.

so, considering my mom would not be wearing her dress again, we decided to give it another use...

i took it to my seamstress who is making my wedding dress (sorry, wont be posting any pics pre-wedding but i have a whole lineup of secrets and surprises scheduled to post while we're on our honeymoon!), and she was able to create a "cocktail" dress out of it, which i will wear to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner :).  she used every piece of the dress, including lace and all.  it's a perfect way to wear my mother's dress, but for another use.

here it is!
BEFORE
9.16.1978 - see how pretty she looks!
9.16.1978
this is such a weird picture.  my eyes look brown and i look like i'm confused.  either way, here is the BEFORE.


 AFTER
i cut my head off because it was a fugly face.  but do you recognize the shoes?  :) (and don't worry, i will be wearing a slip!)

i'm so excited to be able to continue the legacy with the dress, and maybe it can continue on with my family when the time comes.

13 comments:

  1. Oh how great is this?! You look so nice in it! And yes, definitely wear a slip! haha j/k. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so great!!! a very on-trend cocktail dress, all from 1978 magic!! i love how faux-happy you look when you are wearing your mom's dress pre-tailoring. i feel like the subtext is "please get this off of me it's burning my skin."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! That's so great you were able to reuse her dress. It came out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and following my blog! Love the change you had made to the dress. Looks great!


    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool!! It's classic, simple, and has a vintage look about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you did that! Boy wish I could have come up with something like that! My mom told me to use her dress for a Trash the Dress Photo shoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you re-purposed your Mom's gown. That's awesome.

    And THANK YOU for wearing white to your rehearsal. I have a knee length strapless white eyelet dress that I wanna wear but I keep thinking "is it cheezy to wear white to the rehearsal?" Now you've made up my mind for me - it's totally not. I see it on you & I love it!! YAAAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dress Jace! looks perfect and i'm sure it makes your mom happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW.

    They did an amazing job.

    also I'm crying again.

    I don't expect I will not be crying during your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. she must love that you're using her dress for something so special!

    they did a beautiful job! it's a perfect rehearsal dinner dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO beautiful! I love this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is such a sweet, creative and amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such an incredible idea; so so sweet. And it looks fabulous!

    Your wedding is in CT right? Where is it at? Where's the rehearsal? I lived in CT for 8 years for school and right after, but now back in RI :)

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!