Wednesday, October 6, 2010

guest blogger laura - That Time I tried on the $4,000 Dress (and Fell in Love)

i'm nearing the end of my hawaiian tropical paradise and thankfully, laura from everylittlekiss has volunteered to post for today.  check out her blog, she's a great writer and it's fun to follow her story.  thank you laura!

Hi Everyone!

I write a wedding blog over at everylittlekiss.com, and I'm super excited to be writing a guest post for Jacin's blog! We are getting married in Austin, TX in February 2011. Now, I have a confession to make:

I tried on $4k dresses and I liked it. There. I admitted it.

Back in May, I started looking for a wedding dress. After not having any luck at several stores, my step mom thought it would be a FABULOUS idea to go to this really expensive store in San Antonio, TX and look at dresses. You know, just to LOOK and then see if we could find something similar, for cheaper. The dresses at this store started around $3k and went up to about $15k.

I agreed to do this, knowing it was a BAD idea. There was absolutely no way I was going to pay $6k for a dress and I KNEW I would find something that I would fall in love with. But I went anyway. Why? Because it's FUN to try on really expensive dresses and pretend you're at Kleinfeld's in NYC :)

I tried on a bunch of dresses--Lazaro, Melissa Sweet, Priscilla of Boston, etc. Many of these dresses were awesome when I put them on. However, I was actually surprised that many of the dresses (I'd say at least 70%) looked AWFUL on me. The dresses didn't fit at ALL--they were either so large that the big metal clips didn't help enough, or the dress was 2 sizes too small and I could hardly get it over my hips. Additionally, many of the dresses were made for tall girls, so the waists never fell where they were supposed to. This was the first time I got frustrated that dresses wouldn't fit.

Then I found the dress I would fall in love with. Christos Maribel. Oh yeah, I tried her on--and kept her on for about 25 minutes.


I LOVE this dress. How beautiful is the Maribel? Look at the little swiss dots! The consultant and my stepmom loved this dress on me. I loved the dress (how many times have I said this?) and felt like a princess in it. What didn't I love? The $4,600 price tag. That doesn't include taxes or alterations. With those things added in? We were looking at about $5500. HA!

To be honest, my stepmom and I spent lunch trying to figure out how on earth we could pay for this dress. "Do we really NEED electricity and heat at the venue? We're using a lot of candles?" (this really isn't funny anymore as our venue actually caught on fire and is currently being rebuilt), "How much can we sell it for after the wedding?" (not enough), "Do we really need a honeymoon?" (yes) and "How long would it take for us to pay that off on the credit card??" (too long).

In the end, I came to my senses (thank goodness) and realized paying $5500 for a dress would be stupid for our budget. I went dress shopping a few more times after this incident and had a really hard time falling in love with a dress. I knew why--because I tried on dresses I couldn't afford and I fell in love. I was determined not to go over my budget and find something I loved and I FINALLY found it. I was prepared to go to every single dress shop in Austin and San Antonio, but luckily, it didn't come down to that.

Lesson from all this? Don't go try on dresses that you can't afford. Seriously. Just. Don't. Do. It.

8 comments:

  1. haha good advice. i started very cehap and worked my way up to what I could afford... is seemed to work out well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to say that the dress is stunning. Except for that price tag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing. In the end I found a dress that I loved and was only 250.00 and not the 4,500 of the dress I first laid eyes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went straight to David's Bridal. I ONLY tried on ones in my price range but it was tempting to go more expensive which for David's is probably about 1k. Glad you found another more affordable dress you could fall in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally made the same mistake. We went to a high end shop that only sells brand names. I ended up finding the sample of the one I loved for a fraction of the cost but it was a hard decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totalyl agree with you - it's not worth the heartache. there are SO many amazing dresses out there at all price points!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!