Monday, October 11, 2010

one of my favorite parts of our wedding

lame blog post for my return?

well, i just got back from being away for 2 1/2 weeks!  i still have about 800 blog posts to check up on (holy crap) and i am busily working on this week's posts.

but before i divulge all the details about the big day and all events that led up to it, i want to give you this - one of my favorite parts of the day.

my beloved grandmother, mimi, passed away this year at 92-years young.  in fact, today as i write this on october 10th, would have been her 93rd birthday.  the gardenia i wore in my hair was for her, and we had a gardenia corsage made for her that my cousins and brother brought to her on the morning of the wedding.  it was very special.  but i also wanted to have her be a part of our reception too, which whether i did this or not, she would have been anyways.

so after the first dances had taken place and the cake was cut (i can't WAIT to show you the cake!!), we had our DJ make a special announcement for our first song to kick-off the dancing for the night.  we chose "jump in the line" by harry belafonte (remember, the song from beetlejuice where they all start the conga line?) - because mimi was a huge harry belafonte fan... and as soon as the DJ made his announcement "A Special Dedication to Jacin’s Grandmother Mrs. Hazel Page who could not be here today with us, but definitely she is here in spirit for her granddaughter" our very own HUGE conga line ensued across the entire dance floor in the ballroom!

it was a great way to kick off the evening and the dance floor was rarely empty after that!

yay!  look at the bridesmaid dresses!  :)
i love how everyone joined in a circle at the end (and check out those tissue paper puff balls!)


i loved it!  but then again, i loved every minute.  i can't wait to share it all with you!!

stay tuned for more...  :)

9 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful way to honor your grandmother. :) Looks like fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet!

    my great-great aunt (who was like another grandparent to me--I saw her about as much as I ever saw any of my grandparents while growing up, and she was totally hip and fun) passed away about a month before my wedding this summer :( She was 91 and I know that her passing was for the best, but I was quite a mess about it. We toasted to her at the rehearsal dinner and talked about her a lot at the reception, as she was a big Red Sox fan and our reception was at a baseball game for a Sox farm team. Still, rather that she would have been there.

    Your reception hall looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. And the bridesmaids dresses are very pretty. Totally stylish and re wearable...which is how a bridesmaid dress should be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOURE BACK!!!!!!!!!! we missed you!!!!

    I cannot wait to hear and see every little detail.

    Bridesmaeids dresses = super cute

    Who wouldn't love the pink puffballs.

    this was a lovely tribute. we did the same theing for my grandfather.

    YAY!!!! YOU'RE MARRIED!!!
    welcome the the club haha let the fun begin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOOO! You're back!! :)

    What a great way to celebrate your grandmother. The only time I cried during our ceremony was when they mentioned my Nana's name. I love that you incorporated yours with happiness.

    Can't wait to see everything else too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOOOO! You're back!! :)

    What a great way to celebrate your grandmother. The only time I cried during our ceremony was when they mentioned my Nana's name. I love that you incorporated yours with happiness.

    Can't wait to see everything else too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a wonderful way to incorporate her in! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got back too!! Gosh, can you believe how fast everything went by!!! Can't believe we are Mrs. now:) Can't wait to hear about everything!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a GREAT idea! I am so glad that you were able to do that!! And I LOVE your dress!!!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!